Indian Shores Police Department is hiring for the position of Records/Admin & Accounting Support Specialist.
Provides advanced clerical and administrative work for assigned department requiring independent judgment and specialized knowledge. Position reports to the Executive Assistant to the Chief of Police. Depending on department need, this position may be subject to shift assignments.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE STATUS: Indian Shores Police employees will be required to work as directed during an undeclared and/or a declared emergency. All employees are subject to recall around the clock for emergency response operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the normal work location and may include duties other than those specified in the employee’s official job description. This is a condition of employment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for covering the Receptionist position and receiving calls from the public.
- Act as liaison between the Police Department and various courts, state, and national agencies.
- Create and update Identification Cards for the Police Department and Town Employees for both Indian Shores and Redington Shores
- Answers/Transfers emergency and non-emergency telephone calls
- Runs criminal justice information in the Florida Crime Information Center
- Calls other departments or agencies to assist the department for various tasks
- Collect all gas slips and validate them monthly
- Collect and record all parking citations in data sheet and scanned
- Collect and maintain all motor vehicle impound records and process release forms
- Dispense and enter all re-entry passes for Indian Shores residents
- Dispense and record all parking tickets purchased
- Collect all trespass notices and notify the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office
- Process and record all public records requests
- Collect and record all subpoenas then notify all Officers
- Performs other work-related duties as required
- Processes the Payroll in the accounting system as required.
- Responsible for monthly reconciliation of Petty Cash account
- Maintains Excel spreadsheet for assets and inventory
- Maintains Excel returned revenue accounts
- Collects Parking Pass ticket revenues
- Assists with ordering of equipment and supplies
- Reconcile all bills and process purchase orders for payment
- Review revenues and expenditures for appropriateness and accuracy
- Maintains accounts in compliance with federal, state, and municipal laws, rules and regulations
- Reviews transactions for proper fund and account allocation; performs analysis of accounts; and calculates percentages of change of revenues and expenditures for use in financial reporting; extracts, classified and summarizes information from computer reports
- Prepares year-end account analysis and adjusting closings and reversing journal entries
- Prepares statements and statistical reports and maintains up-to-date, accurate files
- Completes special financial projects as assigned
Education, Training and Experience:
- Associates of Arts or Science Degree from an accredited College or University with major course work in accounting.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in accounting field, preferably in governmental accounting.
- At least two years office clerical experience is required with proficiency in typing,
- Word processing, database, spreadsheets, internet, and email depending upon the needs of the assigned department
- A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Must possess a current Florida driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of government/public accounting principles and practices
- Knowledge of Fund Accounting and its applications to a variety of accounting transactions
- Knowledge of Business English, Spelling, and Arithmetic
- Knowledge of accounts payable, payroll processing and general ledger.
- Knowledge of personal computers and applications, particularly, Excel, WORD, and Windows.
- Ability to communicate with vendors for processing of invoices and purchase orders.
- Ability to adhere to office practices and procedures and analyze and solve administrative office problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to enter (quickly and accurately), access, and retrieve data from department applications and programs
- Ability to interact with general public and render advice and assistance.
- Understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions
- Work independently and carry out assignments to completion with minimum instruction
- Maintain complex records and to make reports requiring extreme accuracy
- Maintain effective working relationships with other employees and general public
- Input, access, and retrieve data from a computer
- Ability to work effectively and amicably with various departments and administrative personnel
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Records Retention
- Records Destruction
- Records Control
- Asset Management and Inventory Control
- Government purchasing and accounting principles, procedures, and practices
- Laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to budgetary accounting for government agencies
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work Environment: 80% inside a climate-controlled building. 20% outside & other.
Physical Requirements: The essential functions of the job require: sitting approximately six (6) hours per day, standing approximately one (1) hour per day, and walking approximately one (1) hour per day. The job also requires frequent: bending/stooping, fine manipulations, and repetitive motion, with occasional: grasping, reaching, lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 44 pounds. Requires visual inspection of documents in file folders. Requires extensive use of computers, voice and electronic communications systems. Ability to physically file and retrieve documents and folders from cabinets with drawers at varying levels from below the knees to above the shoulders. Ability to remain at a copy machine for varying lengths of time. Ability to closely examine police reports to find specific information.
Sensory Requirements: Hearing: Ability to understand what others are saying in normal conversation and on the telephone. Speaking: Ability to communicate orally with others and speak effectively on the telephone. Seeing: Ability to see and read computer monitor screens and read normal print.
Office Machines: The work requires the ability to operate the following office machines: telephone, Fax, photocopier, printer, calculator, and computers.
Additional Employment Requirements:
- DRUG TESTING (Safety Sensitive)
- Level 2 Background and Fingerprinting
- FDLE AND CJSTC SECURITY CLEARANCE: As mandated by the FDLE and CJSTC. This position may be subject to additional security clearances due to access to the police department facility or police department’s electronic data.
For more information, please contact the Indian Shores Police Department at (727) 595-5414.