The Town of Redington Shores Building Department

Building Official: Mark Vasquez, CBO, CFM


The Town of Redington Shores building department adheres to and enforces the current edition of the Florida Building Code for the construction, alteration, and maintenance of buildings and structures for the protection of residents and property.   Our experienced staff reviews plans, issues permits, and inspects all construction work to ensure compliance with codes and ordinances.

The Town requires building permits for new construction, additions, interior alterations, alarm systems, pools and spas, roofing, fences, signs, patio covers and enclosures, garages, windows, sheds, driveways, sidewalks, and work on electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and gas systems.

Online Portal

You can now use our Online Portal for submitting permits and paying Business Tax Receipts.

Online Portal


Please review our permit guide.


EFFECTIVE JUNE 24, 2024, state certified contractors no longer have to register with PCCLB to perform work in Pinellas County. State certified contractors no longer have to renew their annual registrations with the PCCLB.

The Town of Redington Shores ordinance requires that all contractors be licensed in the State of Florida.

  1. When applying for a permit, contact the Town of Redington Shores building department to have your state license validated.  Under state statute, we must verify the license status of all contractors before issuing a permit.
  2. Under state statute, every building department must verify the insurance status of all contractors before issuing a permit. Please provide copies of your general liability and workers’ compensation insurance and/or workers’ comp exemption listing the Town of Redington Shores as the certificate holder.

Residential Homeowners

Residential homeowners of one or two-family homes can apply for an Owner Builder permit. An owner’s affidavit must be submitted with your permit application.  The Owner Builder Affidavit can be found under “FORMS” below.


There are a variety of forms and documents needed for each permit type. These include signed contract agreements with homeowners; product approval numbers (windows, doors, etc.); site surveys, drawings, etc. A copy of the recorded Notice of Commencement (NOC) is also needed for work that exceeds a $5000. The NOC is recorded at the courthouse. For this and all other forms, see FORMS below.


  • All permits require building inspections.
  • Inspections are performed Monday through Friday.
  • The cutoff time for next day inspections is 3:00 pm.
  • You may call 727-262-2218 for inspections between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:00 pm, email or log into your online account and schedule through the portal.
  • For Fire Inspections call Seminole Fire Dept. (727) 393-8711. Please provide a copy of your fire inspection to the building department.

Inspections results can be viewed on the permit portal, or you can call 727-262-2218 or email the building department:


Click here for the Town of Redington Shores fee schedule. You can pay fees through the online portal via credit card or check or you can stop by town hall during business hours. There will be a 3% fee added when paying with a credit or debit card and a $2.00 flat fee when paying with a check through the portal.

Hours of Construction

Pursuant to section 23-12, construction or repair of buildings are limited to between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. No such work may be done outside of these hours, legal holidays, or on Sundays.

Construct Standards

  • Clean up and remove construction debris daily or dumpster. All new developments shall utilize erosion/runoff control devices during construction and prior to any earthwork.
  • Permit Placard, Notice of Commencement, Approved Site and Building Plans must be posted on site in permit box or dry location by front door.
  • A certificate of protective treatment for the prevention of termites is required prior to pouring slabs for and/or under living space. Tie-in Surveys required at the time the foundation is placed.
  • FEMA Requirements & Certification: An elevation certificate/flood proofing certification is Front, sides and rear setbacks must be indicated along with all existing impervious surfaces. required for new structures or substantial improvements and additions to post-FIRM structures located in the Town of Redington Shores prior to receiving a framing inspection.
  • FINAL SURVEY REQUIRED AT OR PRIOR TO FINAL INSPECTION: Surveys must be original with signature and seal affixed and include: Lowest floor elevation (LFE) or structure; Front, sides and rear setbacks must be indicated; Structure, pool, mechanical equipment, driveways, sidewalks, etc. must be indicated and setbacks shown.
  • All codes, ordinances, policies, and regulations for Florida Building Code (FBC), Pinellas Gulf Beaches Coastal Construction Code (PGBCCC); Town of Redington Shores (Town) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) must be complied with.

Obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy (C/O)

Before a C/O can be issued the following must be completed. All final inspections; all required certifications and documentation must be provided All new construction requires a final zoning inspection for C/O.

  • All final inspections complete
  • Final survey
  • Final elevation certificate
  • Coastal A Zone or Coastal V Zone certificate
  • Driveway Agreement
  • Final termite certificate
  • Recorded non-conversion agreement
  • Blower door test
  • Insulation Certificate
  • Energy Performance Level (EPL) display card
  • Building Official’s Approval of CO


* If you need help reading any of these documents, please contact us or call us at 727-397-5538.

Planning and Zoning

Redington Shores Comprehensive Plan

Flood Risk

Available Grants / Programs Include:

  • FMA (Flood Mitigation Assistance)
  • RFC (Repetitive Flood Claims)
  • SRL (Severe Repetitive Loss)

Other information on retrofitting existing homes along with the above program information is available at Town Hall.

The Building Department will meet and discuss grant and retrofit opportunities by appointment. For residents considering applying for grants it will be necessary to have the following items to determine eligibility and funding:

  • current appraisal
  • current survey-site approval
  • current elevation certificate
  • recent estimate of construction costs to perform mitigation retrofits.

The Town can help once all of the information is gathered by performing a cost benefit analysis and electronically submitting the application.

Code Enforcement

The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for the enforcement of the Town of Redington Shores Code of Ordinances.  These include land use and zoning, and life-safety regulations.  You may call the Building Department to report any code violations.

Hours of Construction

Pursuant to section 23-12, construction or repair of buildings are limited to between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. No such work may be done outside of these hours, legal holidays, or on Sundays

Business Tax Receipts

Businesses or persons who own property to be used as rentals, or persons who conduct a business or provide a service within the Town must obtain a business tax receipt. Businesses or persons located outside of the Town, but who conduct business in Town (such as contractors, realtors, etc.) must register with the Building Department.

Useful links for starting a business

Home Business Tax Receipt

The Town permits a business to be run out of your home in a residential zone with limitations to protect the residential neighborhood.

The exact address of the business or location of the property is required for all approved Business Tax Receipts.  Proper zoning must be established.  You may obtain an application for a business license between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:00 PM.  Applications must be filled out completely, signed and dated before a license can be issued for the business to commerce.

Fictitious Name Act: if your business uses any name other than your own, you must register or re-register it under the Fictitious Name Act with The State of Florida, Division of Corporations in Tallahassee.  This requirement does not apply to corporations.

State of Florida Hotel and Restaurant

Any business dealing with foods, pest control, and/or any health-affecting product or service, public swimming pools, individual sewage disposal facilities, trailer parks, bottled water planets, food processing plants, food outlets, and restaurants needs a Health Food Permit.  The type of food business you have determines the agency that inspects your business.  A list of those agencies follows:

  • State of Florida Hotel & Restaurant, 1313 Tampa Street, No. 106
    Tampa, FL 33602. Phone: (850) 487-1395
  • State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Food and Safety Inspection: (850) 488-3022
  • State Sales Tax: Call (727) 538-7400 for more information.